Defiance

Played a new game? want us to know about it? have it at our next lan?
or was it a waste of drive space? Let us know here.
[WLG]Omen

Defiance

Post by [WLG]Omen »

Defiance is another free to play game from Trion. (Rift is from them as well) Based on the TV series of the same name. It is a third person shooter mmo. Now I have just recently started this game and so far I love it. As a free player with no additional DLC purchased you start as 1 of 2 races, Human, and Irathient. They have no bearing on abilities, only for looks. (cosmetic)
You have 4 "Origins" basically what class, which really only affects what gear you start out having. They are:
1. Outlaw: social and legal outcasts re-establishing legitimate identities in the Defiance world. Outlaws begin the game with an Pistol and Shotgun.
2. Machinist: professional mechanics and technicians transitioning into the life of an Ark Hunter. Machinists spawn with an Pistol and LMG.
3. Survivalist: wilderness hunters and frontiersmen existing on the edges of society. Survivalists spawn with an Pistol and Bolt Action Rifle.
4. Veteran: former front line soldiers in the Pale Wars. Veterans initially spawn with an Pistol and Assault Rifle.

All are called "Ark" Hunters which you will discover what that means in the game. It is a quest driven game. However; it does not have levels you have an "EGO" rating ( Environmental Guardian Online) is the all-encompassing term for the AI entity cybernetic implants placed in the bodies of Ark Hunters. EGO takes on a complex artificially intelligent personality, manages the player's HUD, provides mapping services, and grants the player a number of EGO Powers.

EGO Powers provide four primary special abilities, further augmented by a vast number of powerful Perks. EGO Powers are active abilities requiring cool-downs between each use, while Perks provide a large number of passive advantages.

The EGO Powers include:

1. Blur: provides the host with enhanced movement speed for a limited duration. Continued upgrade of Blur will increase the duration of the power. In its highest ranks, Blur can mitigate damage and increase melee damage dealt.

2. Cloak: renders the host virtually invisible to the enemy. Continued upgrade of Cloak will reduce the cool-down of the power. In its highest ranks, Cloak triggers accelerated shield regeneration and can boost duration by slowing movement. Shooting Whilst in cloak will make you visible until you stop attacking or shooting.

3. Decoy: creates a holographic facsimile of the host that is intended to confuse the enemy. Continued upgrade of Decoy will increase the durability of the power. In its highest ranks, EGO provides the option to swap locations with the hologram or destroy it in a damaging explosion.

4. Overcharge: applies a bionetic bonus to the ammunition of a host’s currently equipped weapons. Continued upgrade of Overcharge will increase the damage bonus of the power. In its highest ranks, Overcharge can activate instant reloading and increase its duration as enemies are eliminated.

You focus energies on a single EGO Power. Ego Powers may be expanded by applying relevant Perks. You can unlock more EGO Powers as you level up. You do this by unlocking Perks until you've unlocked a perk that touches another EGO Power.

So that is basics of game. There are no action bars, you don't need them your shooting the enemy with the guns you have equipped (2 at a time with an additional 2 on a different "load-out" (basically you have 2 gear sets, you can have same shield and vehicle, as well as different weapons for different occasions.)

Gear has a EGO rating that you have to have before you can use it, but most times if you picked it up you can use it. Also each weapon (not weapon class (example: assault rifles is a class) can be mastered which improves skill with it, and each weapon has 4 modifications you can add to make better. Barrel, Magazine, Sight, and Stock. These can be bought or you can get as quest rewards. You also gain levels in weapon classes as you use them. (again class example: pistols)

So a new player can be helped by a higher "EGO" rated player and it's not too bad. Clans can be created and joined. Also 1 of the little things I love is you can goto any friend in your friend list as well as anyone grouped with at that time. So you just get in game and friend and/or Group is a distance away, you go to social click on their name, and select on the right to "GOTO player" BAM your teleported to where they are. Its awesome.

I am enjoying this game as it has 2 elements I like:
1. Shooting things
2. MMO style for questing with good storyline based on TV series.

So I do recommend it for those who are looking for an online MMO thats a little different from the norm.

If you wanna try it, fantastic, it's free so give it a shot. You have nothing to lose but the possibility of missing out on a fun game.

As always if you have questions, I will answer to the best of my knowledge, and if I don't know, I will try to locate the answer for you.

BTW. If you play the game, add "ZENPYOU" to your friends list, because you can never have to many
MiScHi3f

Re: Defiance

Post by MiScHi3f »

Downloading it now, I will give it a try
piso_mojado

Post by piso_mojado »

I played it at E3 before it came out and I was thoroughly impressed.... Haven't seen the show yet, but I am told they tie into each other.
[WLG]Omen

Post by [WLG]Omen »

piso_mojado wrote:I played it at E3 before it came out and I was thoroughly impressed.... Haven't seen the show yet, but I am told they tie into each other.
Yes from what I understand they do as well. I don't watch show anymore, however Zuulon does and he is constantly telling me what info I need. :)

Im enjoying the game. It's not a Kiddie game as NPC's in cut scenes curse and flash the finger every now and then, plus like the show there is Adult situations that kids may, and sometimes should not understand. :)
MiScHi3f

Post by MiScHi3f »

Albeit I only got to play it for 10 mins, the game was fun. I will most definitly be playing again.