Hardware Review

Consoles, PC, doesn't matter, talk all about it here.
[WLG]Trenton**

Hardware Review

Post by [WLG]Trenton** »

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010R2 ... ge_o01_s00

Many of us do not game on laptops at home do to the limitations of the graphics cards (that and we dont want to spend 1800-3000 on a laptop from alienware.

we all know that a I5 Processor, or the Equivalent AMD chip, will preform very well in the gaming arena...
so i give you this interesting device.

Most laptops these days have 1, if not 2-3 MSATA connections what is Msata you ask?
"mSATA, SATA for solid-state drives in mobile computing devices, a PCI Express Mini Card-like connector that is electrically SATA"
well there is a Key phrase in that line, "a PCI Express Mini" (PCIE)
so this device plugs into your MSATA slot and gives you a full size PCIE slot for a full size video card.
Now before you start asking questions...

Here are the parts needed to make this work.
This Device.
a extra powersupply (500w works well, as thats what i am using)
and an Extra Video card (I am using a GTX960)
While i do not have Benchmark numbers at the moment (that and i prefer real world results)

The laptop in Question is a Dell Precision M4800 (I7-4800MQ Quadcore 16gbs of ddr3, 256Msata SSD)
this laptop has a Quadro K2100M Built in, as well as the Intel HD4600 (Crap and Crap, at least for Gaming)
so Real world tests (Ark on this laptop will not run on anything above LOW settings, and only gets about 15FPS tops

With this setup, I am pulling 50-60 FPS on High settings (1920-1080)
When i get home if i remember i will take some pics of the Device in use, and some screens from Game play...

all in all the total solution cost me, 179$ for the Video Card, 80$ for this Device, and 60$ for the power Supply about 320$ and this laptop is now Very much Game ready, (and i can always upgrade the Video card later again)

who says you cant put a real video card in a laptop?

-T
MiScHi3f

Re: Hardware Review

Post by MiScHi3f »

Well done sir. Very nice
[WLG]Trenton**

Post by [WLG]Trenton** »

as promised, though a few days later....

mailevelant

Post by mailevelant »

Images in your last post are not displaying. I really wanted to see images of this in action. Kudos for the hardware find though.
[WLG]Trenton**

Post by [WLG]Trenton** »

ill look into it, they are showing for me it could be an issue with it pulling from my dropbox.