7 Days to Die

Played a new game? want us to know about it? have it at our next lan?
or was it a waste of drive space? Let us know here.
[WLG]Trenton**

7 Days to Die

Post by [WLG]Trenton** »

So i decided to pick this up yesterday... this initial review is based on about 4-5 hrs of gameplay.

for those not aware, 7 Days to Die is a Zombie Survival Sand Box game, it Draws Elements from a lot of games, the building aspect of this game, is very much like minecraft (ie collect blocks, place blocks, make other blocks.)
now where it differs from minecraft is that it uses physics on all blocks meaning that you need support structures to hold a large roof up, there are also alot more construction options for building..

now for the twist...

the survival side, is just that Survival, you have to keep yourself fed, and watered, but on top of that, survive Zombies, easy right?... Eh not so much... on the middle difficulty (default)
Survival during the day time is easy enough... a few zombies here and there, some zombie dogs that may piss you off, but nothing major.....
then the sun goes down... you built a nice house right?....no? your F%$&ed...
the zombies will rise from the ground, or come from miles away and Litreally tear your walls down around you... we are not talking a few zombies, we are talking hordes, dozens if not more.
they are zombies so being smart is not something they do well..., but they can over power you quickly...
some things to note here even if you did build a house and sealed your self in... they seem to know your in there... the zombies use sight and sound to track your position, (and ive heard rumors of them using sent as well, though i can not confirm this at the moment)

This game is in Early release on steam (Alpha Status)..
I Would Recommend this game to anyone who likes the Survival aspects.. and who likes minecraft.

on to the numbers i suppose
Game play: 6 (pretty good for an Alpha stage game, while there is a learning curve for the crafting its not bad)
Graphics: 5 (id say they are decent, on par with other games in this genre)
Sound/Music: 4 (here is my one complaint, Zombies are loud and obnoxious, and when they are beating on your walls / doors in mass numbers, you cant hear your self think let alone anyone else. )
Entertainment Value:6 (I was pleasantly surprised with this game, its a lot of fun trying to figure out how not to get eaten...)

Over all score 21/40

in closing.

while this game is not for everyone, (esp the FPS haters) i would suggest checking it out if you want a harder version of minecraft or are looking for the next evolutionary step from it.
Personally i think the 24.99 is a little steep for an alpha, but all in all, i had fun, and will be splitting time between this and Rust...

- See you next time
-Trenton
[WLG]Trenton**

Re: 7 Days to Die

Post by [WLG]Trenton** »

Wow, so its been almost a Year Since i last wrote about this game
We are on Alpha Build 10..

While the concept of the game has not changed, it is still a Zombie survival game mixed with a minecraft world.. all of that is the same, where things have changed
There is some new Mechanics:
Open World:
There are a number of modes the game can be played in, the default map is a small prebuilt one (more for the single player mode)
most of the servers run Random Gen, and it is just that, Open world Randomly generated, endless.
it also has a built in Dynmap (well not dynmap but the minecrafters out there will understand)
Armor system
there are a ton of armor types, from normal clothes to Iron covered armor to full on Riot gear.
each armor type has different bonuses and weakness vs different attacks

Weapon and Armor Degradation
as it sounds, your gear wears out with use.

Recipes (you have to learn to make alot of items.)
the server im playing on has over 1000 different recipes (dont fret, as you do not need to memorize them, there is a handy search feature, and built in menu that shows you the recipe)

Zombies are Smarter (they can hear you and Smell you, esp if you carry raw meat) also they have a "memory" and will track you for a bit if you decide to run... (generally a min)
there are special Zombie as well, ones that climb walls, ones that explode when they have been damaged, and ones that spit acid (that destroys blocks quickly)

Ownership and Such:
so for that like to stake a claim on land and build a cool house, but also have some fun..
there are blocks called Land claim blocks (creative name i know), these do exactly that, they allow you to claim x amount of land (x being server defined, again the server im on has it set to 33 blocks)
no this does not stop your building from being raided by other players or stop the zombies from tearing your walls down. it has no effect on the zombies at all actually... what it does is makes it take ALOT longer for a player to break a wall down. (for instance, Reinforced concrete takes about 45 blows from a tungstun pickaxe, with in a land claim it will take around 7 times that amount (also server configurable)
now with this there are lockable doors, and chests, crates, etc....

I would highly suggest this to anyone who Likes minecraft, but is looking for the more adult version of it

The numbers:
Game play: 7, while it is better, if you have not played the first hour or two will be rough.
Graphics: 7 these have gotten better, though the hand models are a little eh, the light effects are really good.
Sound/Music: 6 not alot has changed here, the Zombies make less noise so its a little better...
Entertainment Value: 8 Due to the Changes over all i would say this is greatly improved

Over all Score: 28
While not perfect, i would say its a solid game now, and worth the money...(at least to me)

-T